Monday, January 21, 2008

Why can't they all just get along?

Only a coincidence that it's MLK day. ThrillRider's been having probs with kids in the neighborhood again. It's so tough as a parent to watch your child be ostracized/ teased/ bullied. I know he creates some of the problems & conflicts. He has difficulty with social cues sometimes. He tends to be bossy & not take criticism well. I know this, but it doesn't make it any easier. We had snow this weekend. TR couldn't wait to go play in it. He went outside to find some of the neighborhood kids to play with, and did. He came home later all upset, disheveled & red from cold, yelling "They all ganged up on me!" He said they were having a snowball fight, when one of the kids shoved snow down his pants & jumped on top of him. Then (according to him) a couple of the kids started shoving his face in the snow and shoving snow down other pieces of his clothing. Well, it's not that I don't believe he was indeed attacked. I could see how wet, cold. and full of snow he was. I just don't know if he got too aggressive, and one of the kids bested him, or what. So he didn't get to go & play with the others any more. Today he went to see if another child down the street could play(one who wasn't there when the big snowball escapade happened). He came back about 15 minutes later, all red. wet & upset. He said one of the girls he's always had a probelm with was over there and started throwing ice at him, and that the 'friend' he went to see joined in and they were calling him names. *sigh* I wish I could know what happens, but I never will. All I know is it hurts to see him this way. I wonder if he'll ever have normal peer relationships.

1 comments:

Tara R. said...

I can totally relate. It's only been in the last couple of years that my 14 yo son was diagnosed with OCD and panic/anxiety disorder. It's really hard to see him struggle in social situations, since I know that sometimes on some level he provokes the conflict. It is getting better, only very slowly.