Wednesday, January 9, 2008

*knock on wood* Everything's fine!

I had been worried about TR's returning to school after winter break, because the hectic excitement usually causes a major manic trigger. It was this time last year that he had to be hospitalized, and I had to homeschool him for months while he stabilized on new medications.

So far, all is well. He has gotten ready in the mornings, no problem. He has come home in a good mood, and has even remembered some of his homework assignments!!! Getting ready for bed hasn't been too terrible, either.

I especially appreciate it since I and his little sis are so sick. I just don't have the energy to give him the extra attention right now.

Maybe his being grounded over the break made him realize he needs to shape up. I hope so.


Meanwhile, we had an IEP meeting at the school this week, and I feel that was pretty useless. Every time Rock & I tried to make a suggestion on how to handle Thrill's moods without escalating the situation, it seemed to be greeted with defensiveness from some of the teachers. "We're all trying to work with your son; he is a lot of work." I completely realize that, and have told them how much I appreciate it; we're simply trying to help make it easier for them. *sigh* It's hard to go from an elementary school that was so supportive and made every effort to keep us in the loop and help Tristan succeed to a school where he is just expected to suddenly 'grow up' and be responsible. If only it were that simple. What they need to realize is that good communication between us & the teachers is what will help make TR more accountable. If he knows I talk to the teachers & will find out if he didn't do his work that day, he is more likely to do it! Right now he knows the teachers only contact me sporadically (if that- and usually only after a big incident- that's when they tell me he hasn't been doing anything in class for weeks-'gee thanks!') and he uses it to his advantage. I cannot enforce what I do not know, and I'm sorry, but I have a little 2 year old, so I can't be down at the school every day to go around to all the teachers & check up on him. It only takes 3 minutes to send me an email to let me know how he did that day, or if there is a big project coming up that I should know about...

It's just frustrating. Thrill got In School Suspension a couple weeks before the break for talking back to a teacher (and kicking the wall), and the vice principle of his grade called me. She was telling me about the punishment (3 days of ISS) and said "We'd appreciate it if you'd back us up on this and take away priveleges at home..." She said it in such a way.. I was like "Excuse me? Can you repeat that??" So she did & said "ThrillRider has conveyed to teachers that he doesn't recieve any consequences at home, so we'd really appreciate it if you'd help out on this.." I just about choked! I thought to myself 'She must be getting him confused with another child...' TR thinks I'm about the meanest biatch on the planet & that his Dad & I ground him for looking at us wrong.. I stuttered something back to her conveying my disbelief and then she backtracked & said "oh well, you know, kids will tell us what they want us to think.... etc, etc." I was SO PISSED OFF! How dare you imply that I don't discipline my child! Oh that's right, you just think he has a behavior problem & if I ever punished him, he'd be all better. Grrr,, If that were the case, he'd be a model citizen. The problem is, you can punish him & it'll help for a while, but he forgets it soon & it has no lasting effects. So we have to punish him over and over for the same damn things.

Well, it felt good to vent about that. I should have right after it happened, but I was so mad, I was afraid I'd really write some mean stuff! For now, I'll just enjoy life while it's good. :)

2 comments:

Tara R. said...

Oh how I can relate with school administrators... our son has ADHD and anxiety/panic disorder... he has also been diagnosed with a severe memory deficiency... (I know that sounds convenient, but his short-term memory is that of a 7 yo, he's 14). Principals and teachers think that if you're stict enough on them, that fixes everything. GRRR... like for them to live a day in my shoes, or better yet his... I feel your pain sista!

suchsimplepleasures said...

my son just had an iss, yesterday!! for not having a paper signed!! how ridiculous.
my step-son...his mood thing started before break. he got all anxiety ridden and panicky...but, by the time school started again, he was ok. he needs the structure of a scheduled day...otherwise, mayhem!!!
i hope things get better! i, like tara, completely relate to this whole thing!!!
xoxo