Wednesday, December 19, 2007

The family secret..

(This blog posting was moved from my original blog)

I haven't really posted about the one thing that is so prevalent in my/ my family's life. Perhaps because it is so personal, so private, and so scary to many. It is Bipolar Disorder. Heck, it's scary to me- I live it everyday. I have Bipolar Disorder. That's not something I announce, it's not something I want to be categorized as. People judge- I can't blame them for things they don't know about or understand. Mental illness still carries such stigma with it. With Faith, family support and medication, I manage my disorder well, and have had no major episodes in the last couple of years. I still have bad days/weeks, but nothing frightening.

It is not my bipolar disorder that affects our family so much; it is my son's. ThrillRider was 7 when he was diagnosed with Early Onset Bipolar Disorder. Although a difficult diagnosis for children, it was much easier for psychiatrists to recognize as he has a family history. Kids with Bipolar are much different than adults. It's not just mood swings, (although they are definitely a factor) it is the rage, and helplessness(kids don't know what's going on with them), and stubbornness, and lack of memory and social skills that make it so different. Medication can help, but so many drugs have not been thoroughly tested for children. Add that to growing bodies,and hormones, and it's difficult to keep a good dosage for efficacy.

Every day is a struggle. The most mundane tasks can cause a blowup. Getting ready for school in the morning & getting ready for bed at night take at least an hour apiece. Homework is more often than not forgotten. Projects not finished, assignments refused. Yes, outright refused. Homework, when brought home, takes hours to complete. The lack of respect is appalling- to parents, teachers and anyone in positions of authority. Focus and memory can be at times nonexistent. It is so frustrating to see a child who is so bright and intelligent failing/almost failing classes because of missed assignments and a disregard of consequences. (You can see why communication with teachers is essential, and why I really feel the need to give gifts of appreciation to teachers who are tested daily on their patience- a few posts back)

Holiday season is especially rough. He & I both get hypomanic in the lead up to Christmas. After the big event, there is a letdown (I think that happens to the most sane of people) and depression sets in. Tristan was hospitalized last January. He had to be homeschooled for several months after. I fear this year may repeat last. I pray it won't.

Wow- that really helped to vent. I started this post crying, but I feel much more calm now. Perhaps it won't be a terrible day.

7 comments:

suchsimplepleasures said...

i left a comment, as you know, on your other blog. but, wow! reading this again...you have no idea how well you just described what goes on with my step-son! his lack of passion, for anything. he doesn't care about doing well in school. he is disrespectful to me, his dad...any authority figure. he takes, even the most innocent thing, as a personal attack, which he responds to with negativity. it's horrible. i feel for you because, i completely understand...i'm living the same thing.
you really have no idea how happy i am to have found your blog!!!
both of your blogs!
i'm rolling you, too!
xoxo

Nissa said...

You're such a sweetie! How old is your stepson? How long has he been exhibiting signs? It's weird how it just seems to develop. Thanks for taking the time to read & comment. I wasn't sure about blogging about this, but ya know, isn't the purpose of personal blogs to vent? :) It'll help tide me over till my next therapy appointment! haha

suchsimplepleasures said...

hi! he will be 11. he has been diagnosed with all the other stuff and on meds for it since he was in 1st grade. actually, since 4th grade for anxiety...1st grade with adhd. the hardest part about it is, he isn't my biological son. so, as much as i try to be patient and understanding...i have too much resentment.
anyway...have to get my morning going! xoxo

Rachel said...

Wow.
How difficult. I'm so glad you've decided to write about this, there is definitely still a stigma attached and people, such as yourself, who write and help to get the word out can help erase that stigma.
I clicked over from cre8buzz. I grew up with a bipolar mom and there were no meds until after I moved out for college. It was hell.
Thanks for spreading the word and good luck.

Anonymous said...

I am so thrilled to have you come by my place on Cre8buzz so we could meet!! ;) I hope you stop by my blog...it's all about my support system and bipolar ;)...I have some really awesome friends. Anyway, would it be okay if I put you on the blogroll over at my 'other' site The Mood Disorder Network I am going to try and get it off the ground over the winter break. Again, I am thrilled to have met you and I look forward to getting to know you better.

Nissa said...

Thanks, Rachel & Danielle. It is so nice to get warm, supportive reactions!

Caffeine Court said...

Hi-wow-what a story. We have quite a bit of depression in both my family and my husband's. It's rough dealing with it (to say the least) and I'm keeping a close eye on my daughters. (Ages 4 and 8).

I wish you all the best...you have a great blog!