Thursday, December 20, 2007

Runnin' on empty!

Princess woke up at 11:45 last night. Just about the time I started to fall to sleep. I waited for about 15 minutes, hoping she'd settle herself & go back to sleep. No such luck. I think she had a nightmare, because she refused to be put back in her crib! So basically I did not get any sleep till 4:30(on the sofa, mind you!). Of course she wakes up right at normal time- 7:30, bright eyed, & bushy tailed! Ugh. Lack of sleep + PMS= TNT. Hope I don't blow up at the first sign of attitude from ThrillRider today!

On a good note, though, TR remembered to bring home the criteria for his Science project yesterday (which was due the day before- we had a major argument about that one!) I was dreading it. TR can spend hours in front of pen & paper & claim that he can't think of a thing to write. He absolutely detests writing. His handwriting is atrocious & he just thinks it's about the worst thing in the world. So I decided, due to time constraints, to let him dictate to me, while I typed it for him. It was like I was sitting with a completely different child. The sentences just poured out of him. That kid knows more about Plate Tectonics than I ever could have imagined. He was supposed to use sources, but really didn't need any. So we just pulled up a couple websites to put in his bibliography. I don't think there was one grumble about the project at all. He finished it, and I think he may get a good grade on it, despite being late. I was so proud.

It just drives home the fact that he needs extra assistance. He should be able to take parts of tests orally (according to his IEP) and I think that'd be ideal for the essay portions. TR can't type yet (we tried this summer, but he just wasn't motivated to learn it), but I think once he does, he'll excel at 'writing' assignments. Rock installed a speech recognition software program into the laptop for TR to use, but it takes a lot of getting used to (besides the fact that the laptop is kaput & we can't use it..)

1 comments:

suchsimplepleasures said...

i've said this before but, we have the same child!!! writing assignments are a struggle...always! but, the knowledge flows, when asked!!!
it's amazing...the similarities between the two!