Monday, February 18, 2008

Irrational Fears

In addition to my wild mood swings, I also deal with major anxiety (as do many sufferers of mental illness). I take medication for times when it really affects my life, but even medication can't completely cure the problem.

I was invited out to dinner by a close friend. A former coworker is going to be in town & it would be a great chance to catch up. Another former coworker decided to come, too. Awesome. Then the anxiety kicked in.

I don't like to drive. I fear driving at night. I get very stressed about driving to places I've never driven before. Well this dinner was going to be at a part of town I'd never driven to--at night(obviously). This started to freak me out so badly, I began to have a panic attack.

I wanted to go, and I didn't want to disappoint my good friend. Yet, I cannot get over this paralyzing fear. I did tell her, and she is so understanding, but I feel so silly about it.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

when I was in my mid twenties I didn't drive for six months because I had an anxiety attack while driving....I continue to have anxiety attacks...however not as bad since becoming post menopausal...and my daughter is going to start seeing someone this week about her anxiety...one of those nature vs nurture questions.

Remember, these fears are not irrational to you and that is what is important. How you feel. I'm glad your friend was understanding. I missed out on much in my 20- 40 decades because of my anxiety. I so understand how you felt. We can plan events but the follow through gets really shaky sometimes.